For three years running, there has been a new track record in Göteborgsvarvet and this year there have never been so many elite runners who have decided to race. Wilson Kipsang, alone winner of the London, New York and Berlin Marathon, will be at the starting line at Margeretebergsgatan alongside ten ladies who have all run a half marathon under 69 minutes.
Time for a new track record?
– Doubtful, the track records are so good now that it requires perfect conditions and absolut top form to beat them, says Per Crona, responsible for the elite runners in Göteborgsvarvet.
In addition, it is necessary that someone keeps the pace up enough right from the start.
-We do not use pacekeepers in the race so the time depends a lot on how the race is developing. Although the runners usually keep a good pace.
Among the gentlemen, Wilson Kipsang is the big name. The Kenyan is alone in winning the three major marathon races in London, New York and Berlin, and is considered one of the best throughout the ages.
The reason he is here is that he got the stomach flu when he was trying to take back his world record in Tokyo and therefore had a gap in his program. But I’m not sure he will win here, says Per Crona and continues:
– Richard Mengich has the track record and is running for the sixth time in a row. He knows the track, is in top shape and is craving revenge for the loss last year when he was forced to cancel.
There are also others to keep track of. Ibrahim Jeilan, the only one who has defeated Mo Farah in a 10,000 meter championship race, is an exciting participant.
– There are always a number of hungry runners who come here. Shadrack Kimining, Kenya, is a beginner and an exciting outsider.
Among the ladies, the chance of track record is a little bigger. And the top width is very impressive.
– Ten of the ladies have run at 69 minutes or faster and there is no clear favorite, according to Per Crona, but he can not help but mention Meseret Belete Tola.
– She is not yet 17 years old and completely unknown. She came in second place in the Ethiopian championship and got to run the World Cup where she placed sixth. A huge talent.