Göteborgsvarvet, which measures half a marathon (21,097,5 meters), takes place on 19th May 2018 for the 39th time since the premiere in 1980. Trailvarvet, Stafettvarvet, Specialvarvet, Cityvarvet, Lilla Varvet and Minivarvet are the other races that also will take place during the Göteborgsvarvet week. In total, approximately 80,000 runners are expected to participate in the races during the week. On Thursday, the major sports and health exhibition Göteborgvarvet Expo is organized at Svenska Mässan. In order to realize the whole event approximately 4,000 volonteers are involved.
– It’s amazing that so many people are committed and that so many want to run. At the same time, it is important that we constantly work to improve the quality for both the runners and for all those around, says the Director of the Race, Bo Edsberger.
It obviously leads to results.
– The starting field in Göteborgsvarvet is the best ever. It is proof that even the elite runners appreciate our arrangement and prioritize it.
– For example, we have experienced trail experts, who worked to improve that race.
Another major change this year will be that even adults can participate in Cityvarvet on May 19th.
– We know that not everyone wants to run 21 kilometers. Now they can experience some of the track and soak in the atmosphere on Avenyn. We also hope that it will become a tradition for adults to run a race together with their children.
In connection with Cityvarvet, it is possible to try a combination of running and yoga. A trend that is already established abroad.
– About 300 people will try Yoga Run this year, says Bo Edsberger.
Competition is only one of the three key phrases the organization works towards. The second is experience.
– It is important that even the spectators get to experience the party. This year the bands that play alongside the track are even more diverse than previously. We will also provide digital services with our partners, which will make it easier for the audience to follow their favorite runners and for runners to share their photos from the race on social media. These things along with the fact that our partners have more activities than ever along the track this year, means that both spectators and runners will hopefully have a fantastic experience this year.
The third key phrase is sustainability.
– We are constantly working to reduce our environmental impact. One of the improvements this year is that we remove the plastic bags that we previously handed out with offers and discount vouchers. Now we take care of everything digitally. And as in previous years, all runners are of course offered free public transportation on Saturday, says Bo Edsberger.
PROGRAM GÖTEBORGSVARVET 2018
THURSDAY 15TH MAY 18:00 Trail. Terrain race, 11.5 km (Run) or 8 km (walk).
WEDNESDAY 16TH MAY 18:00 Stafettvarvet. Start and finish in Slottsskogen, 5x4km.
THURSDAY 17TH MAY 10:00-21:00 Göteborgsvarvet Expo, Swedish Exhibition, 110 exhibitors.
FRIDAY 18 MAY 09: 00-17: 00 Göteborgsvarvet seminars, place Idrottshögsskolan.
10:00- 21:00 Göteborgsvarvet Expo, Svenska Mässan.
11:00 Specialvarvet, 2.2 or 4.1km, all ages, intellectual function variations.
17:00 Press conference elite runner, location Gothia Towers.
SATURDAY 19TH MAY 13:00-19:00 Göteborgsvarvet, born 2001 and earlier. Even Swedish Championships at half marathon.
12:30 -19:00 Live broadcast of the entire Göteborgsvarvet on gp.se.
14:00 -19:00 Finishingline camera live on gp.se.
11:00 -16:00 Minivarvet, in Slottsskogen for children born in 2012 and later. 250 meters. Also from 13:00- 17:00 at Bältesspännarparken.
13:00 -15:00 Third edition of Cityvarvet, 4.3 km. News – all ages! In addition, Yoga Run.
09:00 -15:30 Göteborgsvarvet Expo, Svenska Mässan.
12:00 -16:00 Event Area with Ung Cancer, Linnéplatsen.
SUNDAY 20TH MAY 11:00 -16:00 Lilla Varvet, Slottsskogen, 7-13 year olds. 1.3 or 2.4 km.
11:00 -16:00 Minivarvet, in Slottsskogen, born in 2012 and later. 250 meters.
10:00 -17:00 Lilla Varvet Fun Zone. Activity center for children in Frölundaborg and Slottsskogen.