Along the course, you will receive water or sports drink in paper cups. If a runner does not drink enough during a long race, especially if it is warmer than normal (>23C), they run the risk of getting dehydrated. That is why it is important to drink at every water station. If you think it takes too long to stop then here are some smart tips to continue running while you drink:
- Choose a paper cup with a little less liquid in it (if you have time to choose).
- Squeeze the two sides at the top together so that a little opening forms.
- Place in the corner of the mouth
- Sip small amounts instead of pouring big gulps.
Sports/Energy drink: trick the brain and spare the stomach
By keeping the sports drink on the tongue a little longer you trick the brain that it is getting tons of energy but at the same time you spare your stomach from possible stomach cramps. The signal to the brain is “here’s the sugar!” You will be more alert and more energy is released in the cell depots.
- Sip a mouthful from the small opening above
- Keep it in the mouth as long as you can
- Swallow or spit out
- Repeat if you wish
*These tips are from jogg.se